Brexit and Driving in Europe

Green Cards for driving in Europe

In leaving the European Union (EU), the UK entered a transition period which ended on 31 December 2020. As a result there will now be a legal requirement to carry a physical document known as a Green Card when driving in Europe.

A Green Card is an international certificate of motor insurance that is accepted in the EU, EEA, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland.

Green Cards will be required for each individual vehicle and trailers over 750kgs or braked. You may need a separate Green Card for caravans and trailers.

You will be breaking the law if you attempt to drive without a Green Card and may be subject to a fine, having your vehicle seized or prosecution.

Contact us to request your Green Card. Please do so at least a month before you are due to travel so that you receive the document in good time.

We will contact your insurer and your Green Card will be issued either by post or electronically. Print the Green Card on white paper with black ink as electronic copies will not be valid when you travel.

Each trip will need to be notified to the insurer separately and there may be a small admin charge, depending on the insurer.

If you need any further guidance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Government guidance:
Visiting the EU After 1 January 2021
Driving in the EU After Brexit